Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Power... (read me first)

Let’s talk about Power. Why do people have it and why do people give it up??? Of course, we all know “everybody wants power.” Well, I always thought that was not true for ME or for most of my friends. It was for the controlling, mean, evil people that are probably CEO’s and politicians.

Stepping back, I have to assess this. First, what really is power? Next, how do people gain or lose it? And, third, why do people gain or lose power? ...Does this have anything to do with me?

The dictionary has several definitions for power. one definition is: physical strength and force exerted by something or someone...not something I relate to. But, another definition says that power is the capacity or ability to direct or influence the behavior of others or the course of events. This is a little more relatable... most parents want to direct or influence their children. Also, the piece of the puzzle that I most relate to is a pier to pier relationship that is influencing another. Which relationships are the most influenced in our lives? ...Marriage?

In marriage does one person have power over the other? Do both persons have power over each other? How does it work in your and my marriage? Are marriages better or worse if one person or the other has “the power”?

No comments: