Monday, June 16, 2008

Deviant Child I

As a child I was very compliant. Most of the time I felt guilty for thinking about doing something I shouldn’t, less likely actual doing it. It is a rare memory when I remember being deviant with intention. There are occasions that come to mind when I think of being deviant.

First, when I was three years old I was in pre-school. Being an artist today, I can see why at three years old I was a proficient colorer. I would carefully stay in the lines with my beautiful bright crayolas. However, on one morning I remember a desire to go faster and break the lines drawn before me. I did the unthinkable, I scribbled all over the page. As I recall it, I used big fast circular motions. Well, as you can imagine, that did not bode well with my classmates. One of whom ratted me out to the teacher. The teacher, without a second thought, reminded me that I had skill to color in the line and I shouldn’t scribble again. Today, I realize what a profound early memory in my life. A simple statement that I was to stay in the lines, or stay in the boundaries. I shouldn’t deviate from the picture that was drawn for me. I was to become a “docile” citizen. Interesting...

❑ read for more information on the “docile” citizen: “Discipline and Punish, the Birth of the Prison” by Michael Foucault

No comments: